Thursday, May 29, 2008

One of the scariest days


Yep you read correctly. Yesterday afternnon was filled with fear, Military police, EMs, Dr's and nurses. If you haven't already guessed, this has to do with Destiny. She came home yesterday and at 1500 we checked her sugar, all was good so she ate her 2 BE consisting of a buttered tortilla and 8 oz sugar free koolaid. And then fell asleep in her daddys chair in our livingroom. We were watching desperate housewives when at 1630 she started convulcing, drooling, and her eyes went into the back of her head, she had seized. This had never happened to her before so I was yelling at my husband to call an ambulance. An MP showed up first and I was pissed! What the hell was he going to do???? Well he did nothing but stand there and stare at us as I tried to keep Destiny concious. It took 8 minutes for the ambulance to arrive but it felt like 20 minutes. And then they were filling out paperwork!!! While my daughter sat in a chair and was crying!! I'm sure DH saw steam coming out of my head by then. I had 3 MP's and 3 EMS in my livingroom and they were all just standing there talking in German none the less. I finally went to one of them and said "help her!!" We had to show them her passport because apparently that somehow makes a difference. I'm sure once they saw American USA citizen their feet dragged even more. I had to carry her to the ambulance!! Can you believe that???? And then their idiot Dr who I had told that my daughter has very deep veins couldn't for the life of him find her veins to administer Glucose. Now they used their machine to check her sugar and it registered at 32!! Ok our new machine is defective but I'll tell you about that in a bit. Anyway this idiot Dr used every last needle in the ambulance on my daughter trying to find a vein, all the while my daughter is fighting and screaming (this is an effect of low sugar) They finally give her some through her nose and also give her something to calm her down which only hyped her up instead of relaxing her. They sat there working on her for 30 minutes before deciding to drive to the hospital and even thier the Dr didn't do much. They pulled blood and ran a test that took them till midnight to give us the results. By then Destinys sugars dropped back to 34 and she had thrown up about a 1/2 gallon of liquid. You want to know the test results? They showed nothing and this female Dr's response was she didn't know what was wrong with my daughter and then she went home!!! No Dr till 0700 this morning. Thankfully it was the male Dr who cared for her when she was first diagnosed. He found that not only was her monitor broken but her idiot Dr earnhardt had her insulin dosage way above where it should be and was having her eat too much food, thus a fat little child. Our insulin pen also broke so they replaced it for us and also gave us a new monitor. NOW ANYONE WITH A MONITOR, If you are using the one touch ultra, the comapny NO LONGER makes these, they are outdated so go replace them with the One Touch Ultra 2. No wonder the pharmacist told me he gets them for a penny, they don't work anymore. Oh and the female Dr said 2 other kids the previous week came in from faulty monitors, the EXACT same one we used and I looked at her like and you didn't think the word should be put out? Cause seizures can kill. Anyway to make this short she is now going on a new plan which we have to take her back to the hospital June 16th to learn about and how to care for her then. Also her 30/70 (NPH) is working against her now which they didn't think would happen for several more years. Destiny is back to herself now but no patient liason showed up either which they are required to do so I will be going into our clinic to find out why she never showed.

Thanks for listening to me rant, I had to get this out.

3 comments on "One of the scariest days"

Chiloe on Thursday, May 29, 2008 12:12:00 PM said...

Waow !!! I would have been really mad too. One little girl in Emma's class is diabetic since last year and she now have the pump (inside her body - you probably know what I'm talking about) She just turned 8. Maybe it's something that could be good for Destiny?

did you go to a chidren hospital? When there is no around, it's always a problem ... I hope you will find the right help now.

I think I would have take my kid to the hospital myself after seeing the EMS waiting and doing nothing to help my child ...

Is there a way you can sue the hospital or the device maker for not letting know that the machine was not working properly? Maybe some persons are in great danger NOW ... Scary ...

(((hugs))))

Sharon on Monday, June 02, 2008 12:16:00 AM said...

Heidi, that was an absolute nightmare! I know you will get everything straightened out! They all sound like utter idiots. I hope Destiny is feeling better

Lillie on Monday, June 02, 2008 9:21:00 PM said...

OMG!! what a scare! am so relieved to know that Destiny is back to herself.

Take care and hugs.

Translate

Current WIP's

Current WIP's
My Lady of the Snow

Chinesse Goddess of Mercy

My Awards

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Anime I've Seen/Read

Inuyasha
One Piece
Samurai Shamploo
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
Deathnote
Code Geass
Fooly Cooly
Yu Yu Hakusho
Rurouni Kenshin
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
Naruto
Naruto Shippuden
Fairy Tail
Tower of God
Bleach
Chobits
 

Crafting Time Copyright 2008 Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez